Monday, December 1, 2008

Shut up and pass the mashed potatoes...

I've heard it time and time again that you can't teach an old dog new tricks, but I thought I could open a few eyes and ears this Thanksgiving in light of our assignment.

Nearly five months ago, I persuaded my cousin to switch from paper/foam plates and paper napkins to real plates and cloth napkins to accomodate her family of 5 and the environment. My aunt and uncle came over for the annual Thankgiving brunch and asked where the paper towels, napkins, and foam plates were. My aunt mockingly responded by saying "They're trying to save the environment." I took mild offense, knowing that cutting down on a few paper plates wasn't going to "save" the environment and that she was mocking the effort in trying to do something...anything. My family has never been big on environmental issues and are more concerned big houses and big SUVs. So I asked my aunt what she does, if anything to respond to the current environmental problems. My aunt and my uncle both said nothing they will do matters, and it won't have an effect on them because they'll be dead before anything happens. To tell you the truth, I wasn't surprised by their answers because they have this really old mentality that anythign they do can't possibly change the way things are. I can't blame them for having such beliefs because their parents were oblivious to pressing issues and they immigrated to the US over 30 years ago. They say they have seen what hell looks like back in Cambodia, so the environment is barely a concern for them. I asked "What about us? What about your grandkids? We're/They're going to have to deal with what happens...we will be the ones to suffer the consequences, no?" The room went silent. I could tell they were thinking about what I had said, but I didn't get an answer.

My cousin tapped me on the shoulder and said that's exactly what she thinks about. She thinks about the future and what kinds of life her children may have if we don't stop to think about the environment and the consequences of our actions. I was surprised because I thought I was the only one in the family who really gave a damn. This Thanksgiving, I found a new and proud "tree-hugger" in the family.

No comments: