Monday, October 27, 2008

I Love Nature




Everyday in my life is a thrilling and magical day with the non-human world. I was brought up outside, when I was two I would go on walks through the woods with my dad, and when I was eight you would have to drag me inside to get me to bed. I have always felt a deep connection with nature and would prefer to be outside doing anything, if I could. If I would have to pick one specific experience alone it would be last summer. We have so many deer where I am from, and we get them in our yard all the time under a certain apple tree. They love to bring their families, especially the fawns to come and enjoy apples. At home I also have three large dogs, which usually can sense the deer and are annoyed they are in our yard. Last summer as I was gallivanting around the yard with my dogs, I came across a wonderful site. In our bonfire pit, underneath a picnic table was a fawn that had just been born. She was covered in slimy, birth fluids and was trying to stand up. The mother had picked to crawl under the table, because it offered the fawn some protection, if the mother should have to leave. My dogs walked right past the fawn, and could not even smell her. Later I learned that fawns are born without a scent, a natural protection from prying predators or silly neighborhood dogs.

They walked right past the fawn, and waited for me to throw the ball. Whatever you believe in, God, nature, or some other order, I just had to admit, this was amazing. Everything works in such a unique and special system, everything has its place. I just remember being overwhelmingly struck by this fact in the moment, and I felt so lucky to witness this new life before me. I came out hourly to check on the baby, making sure I did not interfere, and I could also sense the mom in the woods surrounding my house. She made it out from the pit ok, and walked into the woods with her mother. It was beautiful.

I would be lost if it were not for outdoors, for nature and for animals. I enjoy it just as much as I do my family and friends. Nature is something we should save. If not for the natural processes it helps us with, like oxygen recycling, food, shelter, than for the beauty, and the happiness it brings to people like me. So many people in this world would list outdoor activities and being outside as hobbies or interests, even if they would not label themselves “environmentalists”. This means so many people would be upset if the negative effects of our actions on this planet skyrocket, like they are slowly doing. This planet is worth saving, and so is nature. People need to see the beauty in nature, each thing for a purpose, each of us here for a purpose. If you do not think this planet deserves to be saved, then what are you doing living on it?

No comments: